SERMONS & SERMON - LECTIONARY RESOURCES
SERMONS FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS AND ISSUES
This page consists of links to special sermon sites that have been recommended by our readers or which we have written ourselves. They are resources which deal with special occasions or issues that face the preacher from time to time. Look here for various special occasion sermons such as Baccalaureate and Ordination Sermons. We also include a section on Narrative Sermons, Healing Services, various types of Funeral Services (including difficult circumstances) and a Wedding Service Planner. If you have, or know of, a special topic sermon that you think should be linked here please send the URL to Rev. Richard J. Fairchild. I will review the resource and reply by e-mail as to whether I will post the URL here or not.
BACCALAUREATE CEREMONIES - SERMONS: Thanks to Kim Quiggle at sandtrap@SCCOAST.NET these links for Baccalaureate Sermons are presented. Baccalaureate Sermons are not part of the Canadian ethos.
- Be Careful What You Wish For As commencement exercises focus the nation's attention, and as graduates begin to contemplate their next steps in life, we find some advice from the Prophet Samuel and the experience of ancient Israel. A sermon by the Rev. Dr. David E. Leininger in 1997. (May 03)
- Sermon For The Baccalaureate Mass: By Damian Fandal, O.P. in 1970. A 1978 Baccalaurate Sermon is also found here.
DEDICATIONS (Memorials, Gifts, Infants etc)
- Services of Dedication - Objects: A Kir-Shalom page on how to write your own liturgies of dedication for physical items given for the use of the Church and several example litanies (planting of trees, dedication of hymn books, organ, pew cushions, etc). (May 03)
- The Dedication of An Infant or Child: A special liturgy for the dedication of an infant or child for those traditions that do not practice infant or child baptism. (Feb 02)
DISASTERS - RESPONSE TO TERRORISM - REFUGEES - WAR
The following materials are directly related to to the September 11th Terrorist Attack and the aftermath, but could easily be adapted and/or used as is in other situations:
- September 11 Anniversary Services and Resources: A Selection of annotated links to help persons prepare to commemorate the first and subsequent anniversaries of 9/11. Contains hymns and services on our site from 2001 as well as links to worship resources from the time of the attack. (Sep 04)
Hymns Responding To Various Crises Since 9/11
- God, How Can We Comprehend: A hymn for Churches Responding Afghanistan Refugees. (Oct 01)
- God, Whose Love is Always Stronger: Written at the outbreak of the US - IRAQ war. (Mar 03)
HEALING AND ANOINTING SERVICES:
- A Healing Service - With Prayer and Anointing With Oil: Healing prayer and anointing takes many forms and may be conducted privately at home or hospital, within small groups, or at a full Service of Worship that is designed to minister both inner and outer healing. This link is to a complete service (sermon and liturgy) and contains rubrics and suggestions regarding the laying on of hands and various prayers of healing.
- Preparing the Oil of Anointing Recipe and procedure for preparing and blessing anointing oil from Kir-Shalom.
- Rites of The Blessing of Oils: from 'Prayerbook: A Catholic Religious Site' (Mar 02)
- Liturgies In Solidarity Prayers and reflections bringing the pain of those abused by people entrusted with their care to the foot of the Cross. Reflections on the Passion of Jesus - praying for deeper understanding and healing of those who have been hurt. A very helpful link. (Feb 03)
- Healing - From ELCA; A short page on healing with a small bibligraphy and number of links from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (Jun 03)
FUNERAL HOMILIES - INFANT OR CHILD
- Infant Death Funeral Service: From Kir-Shalom to you - A Funeral Service for a very young child who died suddenly. (May 01)
FUNERAL HOMILIES - SPECIAL - VICTORIA CROSS RECEPIENT
- For Sgt. Smokey Smith - August 2005: A Homily for the Funeral Service of Canada's last surviving Victoria Cross recepient from World War II.
JUSTICE - SOCIETY TEXTS AND SERMONS
- Texts of Archbishop Tutu: A short collection of older sermons and texts regarding Landmines, Human Rights, and Freedom and Tolerance from 1995. (Oct 99)
- Narrative Sermons: A Kir-Shalom sub-page about Narrative Sermons and with a small collection of the same.
- A Sermon For A Service of Ordination: By the Rev. Foster Freed as Delivered at the May 1999 Celebration of Ministry Service at BC Conference of the United Church of Canada in Castlegar, BC. (Jun 99)
for an Ordination of Priests: Delivered St.John's Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1996 by the Rev'd Canon J.A.Harwood-Jones (Jul 01)
WEDDING SERVICES, VOWS, AND RESOURCES
- WEDDING SERVICE PLANNER: Kir-Shalom's set of pages that presents various options for putting together a complete wedding liturgy (sans eucharist). Please fell free to contribute to the various sections of the page by sending the material via e-mail to us at "firstname.lastname@example.org". Samples of the 'Renewal of Wedding Vows' are also included.
- Wedding Service Options: A useful selection of Wedding Service resources or option from the Storrington Pastoral Charge of the United Chuch of Canada. (Oct 02)
- Planning Your Wedding This includes such things as Toasts To Bride, Planning Forms and Music Selection. A useful site with tips about planning various kinds of weddings. (Jun 01)
- Smart Marriages: From 'The Coalition for Marriage, Family, and Couples Education L.C.C.', this page provides some useful material related to both marriage and to wedding preparation. (Jun 02)
- Wedding Notebook that is similiar to our site and should prove to be most helpful supplement to your research here. (Jun 01)
WORLD DAY OF PRAYER
- World Day of Prayer: An Annual Service on the first Friday of March, prepared by a different group in a different nation each year. This is the home site for the organizing committee. (Sep 04))
Further information on this ministry and the history of "Sermons & Sermon - Lectionary Resources" can be found at our Site FAQ. This site is now associated with christianglobe.com
1045 King Crescent
Golden, British Columbia